Cambria

An Original Oil Painting
by
Denton Lund

Cambria
Copyright 2003©Denton Lund
All Rights Reserved
16" x 20
"

Purchase Award -2004

"Cambria" was honored to receive a Purchase Award at the 2004 Governor's Capitol Art Exhibition in Cheyenne, WY.
"Eight miles north of Newcastle, WY, lies the remains of the mining ghost town of Cambria. In 1887, coal was discovered in Cambria Canyon. In 1888, the town of Cambria was created for the purpose of supplying coal to the western lines of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad. The development of the town and operation of the mines was the responsibility of Kilpatrick Brothers & Collins, contractors to the railroad.

They built a reservoir, constructed more than 150 miners' homes, two churches, a school, a lodge hall, a three-story hotel, a recreation hall, a bank, a courthouse, and company offices. Their big commissary store attracted shoppers from all over the Black Hills, and their opera house once put on a sold-out performance of Faust. By 1904, the mine employed 550 men, and the town had a population of 1,400. Many are still there, beneath ornate tombstones in the cemetary northeast of town. By 1928, the coal deposits were almost exhausted and the end was in sight."

Submitted by Henry Chenoweth


Denton Lund Email
EMAIL

SITE INDEX WELCOME PAGE WESTERN ART VISIONARY ART WILDLIFE ART

Top of page

Site Meter